Of course as someone who loves freedom and believes in individual rights, I fully believe Mr. Gates to be able to give money to whomever he deems necessary. However my problem with this preferential treatment based SOLELY on one’s race, is the egregious double standard held by those who promote “tolerance”.
I can scarcely fathom the public outcry if he decided to give money to only White students. I encourage you to check out another great post entitled, The Free Speech Double Standard.
Students are eligible to be considered for a GMS scholarship if they:
• Are African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian and Pacific Islander American, or Hispanic American;
• Are a citizen/legal permanent resident or nationals of the United States;
• Have attained a cumulative GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (un-weighted);
• Will be enrolling for the first-time at a U.S. accredited* college or university as a full-time, degree-seeking, first-year student in the fall of 2010; or GED
• Have demonstrated leadership abilities through participation in community service, extracurricular or other activities;
• Meet the Federal Pell Grant* eligibility criteria; and
• Have all three forms (Nominee Personal Information Form completed by the student, Nominator Form completed by an educator familiar with the student’s academic record and a Recommender Form completed by a person familiar with the student’s leadership and community service) submitted by the deadline.